Riley

Riley

Disclaimer

**The information provided in this BLOG is in no way intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. This information should never replace the advice of a doctor. Please use this information as you see fit. This information will pertain differently to each child, each adult, and each family.**

**Resources are listed to support information associated with this BLOG. These resources support copyrights and are permissible. Information presented outside of this BLOG needs to incorporate resource sites to maintain legal status.**

**This BLOG and its information may be shared at no request; photographs will need permission from the blogger.**

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Appearance of a disability

I came across this blog and it is one of my fears in regards to Riley.  When people look at Riley she does not look like your typical special needs child.  When you take a closer look, or watch her behave, or find out how old she is then it becomes more clear.

We have had handicap parking since around the time Riley turned 1.  And until recently she was always in a stroller.  I was always afraid that when I used the handicap tag that we would have some idiot come up to us and say something.  Riley now has a wheelchair, a very heavy wheelchair.  But at this point she really only uses it when she is at school, at other times she is in a stroller or goes right into a shopping cart.  I am still afraid or the person who will stop me and say something or give me a dirty look.  But I can't live my life in fear, so I live day by day.  Enjoying every minute (or at least most of them) that I get to spend with my beautiful, special daughter.

Here is what a child with a disability looks like.  And she is beautiful!!






1 comment:

  1. I know it's hard sometimes, but try not to worry about what people think. It doesn't matter. :)

    ReplyDelete