Riley

Riley

Disclaimer

**The information provided in this BLOG is in no way intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. This information should never replace the advice of a doctor. Please use this information as you see fit. This information will pertain differently to each child, each adult, and each family.**

**Resources are listed to support information associated with this BLOG. These resources support copyrights and are permissible. Information presented outside of this BLOG needs to incorporate resource sites to maintain legal status.**

**This BLOG and its information may be shared at no request; photographs will need permission from the blogger.**

Monday, January 7, 2013

A Change in Thinking

Recently I was having a conversation with another mom of a different needs child, we were discussing a possible new diagnosis that they were looking into that has the potential to shorten her child's life.  She told me that at this point they don't know if it is true or not, but I commented that it would be good to know because she might do things different if they knew they only had few years with their child.  Maybe they would go to Disney earlier than they would otherwise, or they would take a photo of their child everyday.  She went on to tell me about a friend of hers that is currently dealing with just that with not one but two of her children.  This woman walked into find her kids doing something that most parents would have started yelling about, but she couldn't bring herself to yell, so instead she laughed and took a picture.

This conversation got me thinking why should a child dying changes how we act toward them.  If you only get a few years with a child because they are sick and you then make sure to take a photo everyday or you plan a trip that you would have otherwise put off until "they were older," or you laugh off small misbehaviors.  Why not do that with a healthy child too?

This world is unpredictable.  A health child could be diagnosis with cancer, or get in a car accident.  Look at the parents of the Sandy Hook students.  I am sure they are all wishing for one more photo or one more trip or one more anything.

We should cherish EVERYDAY we have with each other.  Whether it is child, or husband, or wife, or moth, or father, or brother, or sister, or friend.  Don't wait until tomorrow to tell someone that you love them.  We live in a world where we are so focused on what we don't have that we forget to look at what we DO have.

I have recently watched two movies that drove this point home. And yes they could be a bit preachy, but sometimes preaching isn't a bad thing if it gives you a new perspective.  For anyone that is interested the movies were "Courageous" and "The Heart of Christmas."

I watch my Facebook feed all through November and everyone was posting what they were grateful for, but as of December 1st that was no more.  Are we only grateful for our lives and the little things in them on month of the year.  I am going to try to find 1 thing I am grateful for everyday for a year. Some days I may not write a full post but I will try to at least post what I am grateful for each day.

So Day 1 of the year of Thank you for my life.

I am grateful for the joy on Riley's face when I walk in the door from work.  She greets me with a big smile, a yell of happiness, and a giant hug.  It is a great way to end a good day or even better a bad day.

1 comment: