Riley

Riley

Disclaimer

**The information provided in this BLOG is in no way intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness. This information should never replace the advice of a doctor. Please use this information as you see fit. This information will pertain differently to each child, each adult, and each family.**

**Resources are listed to support information associated with this BLOG. These resources support copyrights and are permissible. Information presented outside of this BLOG needs to incorporate resource sites to maintain legal status.**

**This BLOG and its information may be shared at no request; photographs will need permission from the blogger.**

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Curious people

At first glance you may not realize that Riley is different.  Though when you take a second look, you would notice her trach, us suctioning her, or us giving her milk through her g-tube.  People's reaction to her some times drives me nuts.  I would rather have someone come up and ask what we are doing or whatever other question is on their mind about her then stare from across the room.  I am happy to educate someone about her or her condition, but don't stare. 

Parents are the funniest though.  kids are always so curious, so you will hear the child ash a question in a normal voice and the parent whispering an answer back.  I have no problem talking to people I don't know, I take after my dad, so I always tell the parent that is tis ok and habe them come over.  The normal question is "What is that?" while pointing at her trach.  I calmly explain that is how she breathsand the child responses with "oh, ok" and that is the end of it

It is natural to be curious about something that you have never seen before.  I would think that most parents of a special child would rather have you ask you question instead of staring at them.  That being said don't ask "What's wrong with her/him?"  There is nothing wrong with my child she just has some special needs, but I love her jsut the same as you love your "normal" child.

No comments:

Post a Comment